John J. Morton Company was formed in the Charlotte area.
William R. Standish, Sr, relocated from Bedford, IN (a place abundant in limestone) along with a partner bought that company.
Bill Sr. fondly called "Gene Goforth" created The Marble & Stone Shop.
John J. Morton Co. specialized in large commercial jobs. The Marble & Stone Shop did mostly residential projects, featuring vanities and marble floors. Both were located at 1001 W. Morehead St
Bill Sr. (who sadly passed away in 2012) was presented with a plaque for many years of outstanding service and diligent work in the cut stone industry. Acknowledged by the employees of The Marble & Stone Shop, Inc., The Marble Institute of America and The Indiana Limestone Institute of America. The Marble & Stone Shop, Inc. has survived the “great recession” and continues to do the excellent work that Bill Sr. began.
The Marble and Stone Shop, Inc. was moved to the current location at 2211 W. Morehead St. Charlotte.
Bill Jr. (president / owner) of The Marble & Stone Shop announced a major expansion of the management team. Effective January 1, 2016, Robert Ussery and Radek Petrak would be each promoted to manage the day-to-day operations of The Marble & Stone Shop. Robert responsible for the showroom / sales and Radek for the fabrication / installation.
Over the years
John J. Morton Co. and The Marble & Stone Shop were consolidated and both companies are known today as The Marble & Stone Shop, Inc.
The Marble & Stone Shop has a new look but still maintains the values and customer service that the company was founded on. We look forward to the next chapter in the history of The Marble & Stone Shop, Inc.