Almost 100 years ago in 1920, John J. Morton Company was formed in the Charlotte area. In 1960, William R. Standish, Sr, relocated from Bedford, IN, a place abundant in limestone, and along with a partner bought that company. Around 1970, Bill Sr, as he was so fondly called, and Gene Goforth created The Marble & Stone Shop. The John J. Morton Co. specialized in large commercial jobs whereby The Marble & Stone Shop did mostly residential projects, featuring vanities and marble floors. They were both housed at 1001 W. Morehead St until 1997 when they moved to the current location at 2211 W. Morehead St. Charlotte. Over the years, John J. Morton Co. and The Marble & Stone Shop were consolidated and both companies are known today as The Marble & Stone Shop, Inc. Together, these companies have completed over 10,000 jobs along the whole east coast of the United States. One of the most auspicious was the Butler’s Cabin at Augusta National Golf Course where The Masters is held each year. Other projects included work at South Park Mall, Presbyterian Hospital, Bank of America, First Union, and the old Charlotte Observer building. Many exteriors were built with limestone we provided. They included the “old” Courthouse, Myers Park Baptist Church, Myers Park Methodist Church and many more, too numerous to list. The counter at Pike’s Old Soda Shop is one of our projects. Our residential portfolio comprises kitchens, baths, fireplaces, and tabletops among other things. We have become known as a quality fabricator of granite, travertine, quartz, quartzite, and onyx in addition to the marble.
The Marble & Stone Shop has won many awards. Bill Sr, who sadly passed away in 2012, was presented a plaque in 1994, for many years of outstanding service and diligent work in the cut stone industry as acknowledged by the employees of The Marble & Stone Shop, Inc., The Marble Institute of America and The Indiana Limestone Institute of America. The Marble & Stone Shop, Inc has survived the “great recession” and continues to do the excellent work that Bill Sr. began.
One year ago today, Bill Jr. who is now president of The Marble & Stone Shop announced a major expansion of the management team. Effective January 1, 2016, Robert Ussery and Radek Petrak would be each promoted to the positions of vice-president and manage the day-to-day operations of The Marble & Stone Shop. Robert would be responsible for the showroom / sales and Radek for the fabrication / installation. During the past year, The Marble & Stone Shop administration has grown to include an office manager, a marketing and finance director, additional sales personnel and shop employees.
Today The Marble & Stone Shop is unveiling our new corporate logo, designed by our marketing director, Tonya Petrak. With this new logo brings a bigger challenge for Robert and Radek to lead this firmly established company into the next chapter in the history of The Marble & Stone Shop, Inc.